Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Kelley

My mom and dad have come and gone. Wonderful visit, always sad to see them leave. My mother brought her knitting, that she hasn't worked on for two years. She knits raglan from the top down, so that she never has to seam. Never uses a pattern, checked her gauge twelve inches into the sweater, had me measure her arms so she knows how many stitches she wants on each sleeve and can't wait to get below the armholes so she can just knit away.

While she was here I joined the club and made my first buttonhole bag. I think they may be addicting. Fast to do - I made mine longer and still finished it in one day. This may be an addiction. Image Hosted by ImageShack.usIt is such a great little canvas to be creative on. Do you think I can make one with a red bottom and flames shooting up from the bottom? What about flowers and flower stems? I saw a bag in a magazine the other day and it has 3D daises felted on it, will have to think about what knitting technique could be used for the petals.

I actually want to make four of them for a birthday party for four of my friends. For Debbie B. I will need to put some of that eyelash, furry stuff on is (can you tell how much I dislike enjoy those novelty yarns by my description.) For Debbie D. red flames would be good, some carpetbag type for Judy and daisies for Karen. I am glad you don't mind being part of my thought process, cause I just planned then all out.

The first bag I made for Kelley. Kelley is one of those special people. You are lucky if you have a life that touches hers. When my dad retired from GE, he hired Kelley to be his assistant in his home office. In the 18 years since then she has become part of family.

My three brothers and I all live quite a distance from mom and dad, and as they get older you know how you can worry. But for us, we have Kelley. When mom or dad needs to go somewhere at night and they don't trust their eyes anymore, Kelley takes them. She brings lunch for all three of them everyday so she (and I) know that mom and dad will eat right. I can't really begin to tell you the things she does. But for me, most of all, she gives the gift a child of distance wishes for. The surety that if mom and dad need anything or anyone, at anytime, some one that loves them as much as I do will be there for them.

Kelley, the little knitted bag is nothing compared to the gift you give me, know that every stitch was knitted with appreciation and love for you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous grumperina said...

The bag looks great, and your description of Kelley is very touching. What a great gift, and a great friend!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy G said...

What a cute bag and the felted flowers would be fun too.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Netter said...

I love the color combination on your first button-hole. It's gorgeous and fitting for someone of Kelly's description. I can't wait to see the next ones!

5:48 AM  
Blogger btchwstix said...

So you finally joined the club! Aren't those little suckas addicting? I'm thinking about making another (that would be four, there is no more 100% wool left in the Toronto area) and am thinking about another pair of Fiber Trend clogs. Your bag looks great and I have been emailing Kay @ Mason Dixon and she is working on a pattern for a much bigger version, Yay! (I am a loser at the design thing) So happy you had an enjoyable visit with your Mum and Dad, these things mean more than people think. So what's next on the needles?

6:31 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

Cute bag! I love the colors you picked. I think it is great that you made this for Kelley. She sounds like a very special friend! :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Fl Florida House Cleaning said...

Creative blog.  I thought it was the best site out
and we had to go back to it! Every chance I get on the
net I search for blogs just like your site.
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your nh new hampshire house cleaning blog.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Refinance omaha bingo game Repalcement watch band Honda crx floor mats http://www.att-phone-answering-machine.info/Bill-pay-verizon-com.html saab j 29 Adult baby videos free Running wolves online payment system buy online propecia online payment homedepot Eye patch cataract surgery Nissan pickup step bumper Oakley kitchen sink pack 1957 oldsmobile classic http://www.interior-designer-0.info/1994hondapreludeparts.html Joe isuzu advertisement d.c insurance life term Privasafe offers parental control software free with Xcel energy online bill

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home